Pennine Canoe and Rowing Club Update
I thought its worth updating everyone with recent activity within the club particularly as many of you have been asking about the plans for the summer.
Two weeks ago we were contacted by Younger Holmes who own the site at RoKT issuing us 28 days notice to remove all our equipment from the land and revoking our access agreement. Given we had only signed an extension to the agreement a week before it was a shock and has delayed planning for summer.
We have contacted both Younger Holmes and RoKT to discuss their decision without reply. We have asked British Canoeing to take up negotiating continued access as other clubs and paddlers us the facilities which are also listed on the canoe trail.
After getting over the disappointment that we are losing the venue that has provided so much fun and learning on moving water we start to plan for the future. On Tuesday 24th we will move two containers from RoKT to Battyeford, a number of people are helping with the move but I’m sure a couple more pairs of hands would help.
Over the next few months we will be laying some concrete foundations to move other storage and equipment that we have been able to get use of, to Battyeford. We will be returning the 40ft container to the company we rent it from to help reduce our operating costs and allow investment in club equipment. The loss of the 40ft container will result in the short and medium term difficulties in storing all the kit the club requires, we will be looking to manage this through:-
- Selling surplus boats. ~ If you see the posts please share widely to help. If you can help please contact Jack or Ian.
- Offer items on year long loan to members for a nominal fee. ~ this fee will be in lieu of weekly hire fees and contribute to repairs of the club fleet. If you are interested please contact Phil.
- Scope alternative sites for club to use. ~ it is unlikely we will be allowed to store anymore containers at Battyeford so if we can raise funds for another large container we will need to remove some to another site.
As I’m sure you appreciate this is hampering our plans to start summer sessions outside. If all goes to plan next week we should be able to set a date to start Tuesdays at Battyeford.
We are looking at a summer program with at least one session every weekend either:-
- recreational river trip
- youth polo coaching
- river racing
- Slalom come and try it
- tootle at Battyeford
- hasler marathon race
- Coaching development
- Pool session
- We have had a positive meeting with the pool which most significantly has confirmed we can run sessions with 24 participants which will avoid some of the misunderstandings we have had over the winter. We may continue Saturday evenings through summer if we can get sufficient coaches to run a program.
- Jack has been nominated by the club as young coach of the year. The awards are announced in the autumn please like and comment on Jack kayak coach page to provide your support.
- Many of you were involved in the community clean up at Battyeford
- We are continuing to progress running the new performance awards in the club with jack as another accredited provider.
- Go Membership system is now being populated please join and link yourself to the club. This is where we will advertise our program in future and manage club membership. go Membership sign up
- Pennine Polo A Team followed up their second place in the National league with a third place in the championship knockout.
- Our young polo players competing in Yorkshire Div 3 finished in a veritable mid table position winning many plaudits for their development over the season.
- A number of paddlers took part in the first if the season Sprints Regatta’s winning medals and setting personal bests
- We also have paddlers regularly competing in WW racing and NFL which is the Nottingham Freestyle League, not the Northowram Flamenco League.
- Watch out for up and coming social events which will incorporate an awards night and the AGM.
I’d like to thank the committee and other volunteers who have been working so hard over the winter to strengthen the club’s base so we can continue to grow the club. There is loads more to do and if you think you can help with either supporting coaching, admin at sessions, or fundraising please get in touch
It’s a challenging time but I have to say I haven’t felt such a positive buzz about the club for many years.
Onwards and upwards!